Friday, February 26, 2010

Accepting Imperfection by Melody Beattie


According to Beattie a woman went to a weight support group feeling less than human because she had eaten 1/2 a cookie. She found out that everybody cheats a little. This to prove her point on accepting ourselves. She goes on to say:

"Why do we do this to ourselves? ... Why do we punish ourselves by thinking that we're inferior while believing that others are perfect -- whether in relationships recovery, or a specific task?... Whether we're judging ourselves or others it's two sides of the same coin; perfection. Neither expectation is valid.

It is far more accurate and beneficial to tell ourselves that who we are is okay and what we are doing is good enough. That doesn't mean we wouldn't make mistakes that need correcting, doesn't mean we won't get off track from time to time, doesn't mean we can't improve. it means with all our mistakes and wondering, we're basically on course. Encouraging and approving of ourselves is how we help ourselves to stay on track.

Today I will love and encourage myself, I will tell myself that what I am doing is good enough, and I'll let myself enjoy that feeling."

Melody Beattie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers